Summer Favourites

'These are a Few of My Favourite Things...' 

When I first wanted to write this post we were having typical UK un-summery weather, but over the past few days we have had some glorious sunshine which is making this post even more appropriate! I thought I would just share a few things with you that I am loving this summer. 


Music 

I was driving to work one evening a couple of weeks ago when the weather was rubbish and King Kong – Icarus was playing on the radio. This song just oozes summer vibes! It no longer mattered that it was raining or that I was on my way to work, I was boogying down the motorway in my car. This song has had the same effect every time I’ve heard it since. 
Another song I’ve been enjoying recently is Doing Me by Ray BLK. If I’m being honest it’s not my usual genre, but the lyrics really spoke to me. It’s all about being herself, wearing whatever she’s fancying that day, and not about impressing anyone else. I know that I frequently fall victim to trying to please others, and I need a bit more of Ray’s confidence in my day-to-day, especially when it comes to my wardrobe. Just Do You, be comfy, be happy. 



Television 

My friends already know that I could happily stay on the sofa in front of Netflix forever, as long as I had a constant supply of snacks coming my way. This month the fifth series of Orange Is The New Black came out, and the boyf and I ran through it all in a few days. I think this season everyone seems to be losing it a little bit, which just makes it more entertaining. There is a very strong plight for justice, and you see how different characters try to achieve it in different ways - some good, some bad. 
The other series I’ve been binging on Netflix is Pretty Little Liars. I was a little late to the party on this one. It started in 2010 but I only found it about 2 years ago. It is now coming to the end of its 7th and final season with the ultimate episode airing on Wednesday. Part of me wants the episode now so I can get answers, but the other part of me doesn’t want it to come because it means the end! I have become so invested in the characters and the storylines that I think a part of me will feel like it has died when it’s all over. Yes, that may sound dramatic, but there must be a few of you that understand that feeling! #PLLEndGame


Beauty & Fashion 

During the sunnier months and on holidays I don’t tend to wear much make-up - usually just a slick of mascara – but I have recently been enjoying summery scents. I am in love with Sweet Inspirations by Zoella! I found Zoella on YouTube a couple of years ago and through her videos I discovered her beauty ranges. To me this scent embodies summer and it puts me in a better mood when I smell it.
I am also loving my flip flops again this year. As soon as it’s socially acceptable to swap to summer footwear I’m permanently converted. My favourite outfit for this time of year (weather permitting) is leggings, a long t-shirt and flip flops. At the end of the summer last year I found this amazing pair of waffle-sole flip flops in the Weird Fish sale and they are the best things ever! So amazingly comfortable! I’m definitely going to be buying a second pair soon – highly recommend.


Books 

For a lot of people summer means holidays, and something I find really useful on holiday is my Kindle. Don’t get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy a real paper book, but my Kindle is so practical! Last month I was on holiday for a week and thanks to my Kindle I read 3 books. If I had opted for real books I would only have taken 1 with me, and maybe have been a bit bored for the second half of the week, but having the Kindle with me meant I had loads of books to choose from and carried less weight in my suitcase. 




Food 

My final summer favourite is something I have been mad about since I was 2 ½ years old and first tried it in Spain on a family holiday. I even recently bought a bedding set with the pattern all over it, and it is watermelon! It’s bright, colourful, delicious and hydrating, what more could you want?! I think it will be forever my fave!

Comments