My Harry Potter Weekend

On Saturday morning I got on a Megabus at 6.15am for a 4-hour journey to London to see Harry Potter and The Cursed Child at The Palace Theatre. And my goodness me was it worth it!

I re-read the book in the couple of days before we went so it was fresh in my mind just to add to my excitement.

The level of excitement kept growing step-by-step. The signs outside the Palace were great! Big Harry Potter signs all the way round the theatre.

Then the tickets were like winning Willy Wonka’s Golden Ticket.

The sign above the doorway was just brilliant (see photo of my boyf looking happy even though he’s not a fan).

And then the show. So good!

Granted nearly 5 hours was a long time to be sat in a theatre in one day, but at the same time it flew by in all its glory.

I was quite curious about how they would facilitate all of the magical things like transfiguration and being eaten by a bookcase, but I think they did a good job! My favourite effect was when they turned time and they did this ripple effect of the set that looked just fantastic. Not quite sure how they managed it so if anyone knows please tell!

The cast on the whole were fab. Ron was funny and a great representation of how I imagine older Ron to be. And I could imagine film-Harry saying so many of the lines that stage-Harry said and I loved it. Scorpius wasn’t how I imagined him – but that is my fault. I read him too much like Draco and the whole point is that he’s nothing like him. He was very funny. Sadly I didn’t like Ginny. I know a fair few people never liked Ginny but I was a fan of book/film Ginny. I’m not sure if it was the character or the actress that I wasn’t a fan of to be honest; maybe a little of both.

And yes, I cried. Some of those scenes were brilliantly written and brilliantly portrayed.

Then to add to the Harry Potter madness, on Sunday after a 3-hour Megabus journey and a half-hour train journey I went to Cardiff Castle to see the Luna Cinema viewing of Harry Potter and The Philosopher’s Stone.

I don’t know whose idea it was to show a film on a big screen in an outdoor space, but I really enjoyed it. It was cold but I went with a few friends and we had blankets and coats and scarves and it was a pretty good start for Autumn activities.

I’ve also never been into Cardiff Castle before so it was a nice excuse to do something tourist-y which I’ve been meaning to do for a few years. Plus who doesn’t enjoy laughing at the terrible acting in the first HP film?!

To top it off my best friend from home came down for the Luna Cinema and I always love seeing her.

Basically I had an amazing weekend.









What did you all get up to?

Comments