5 Pet Peeves

Here doth lie a list of 5 that wind me up no end!


1. Should Of / Would Of / Could Of

It’s HAVE. The correct word is HAVE.
Ok, so this is the grammar nazi coming out in me, and these days I’m much better at holding my tongue when I hear it (or my fingers when I see it) but it reeeeaaallllyyyy bugs me that people get this wrong. Sorry. Not sorry.

2. Manners

This is mostly in the way of the service provider/client relationship.
So the other day I was in a clothes shop and I saw a staff member coming towards me with a big rail of clothing and we wouldn’t both fit through the gap so I waited til she passed. And there was zero acknowledgement. She had a grumpy expression on her face and just kept walking as though I was invisible. Now I appreciate that she may be having a bad day or might have something on her mind and of course I don’t expect a big ego-soothing celebration of my kindness, but while you’re at work it is part of your duty to at the very least acknowledge your customer with a ‘thank you’, a smile, a nod, a look – anything! Please.

3. Walking on Pavements

Ok so obviously walking on pavements is not a pet peeve of mine, but groups that all walk side by side in a line taking up the whole width of the pavement is. Especially when none of them move out of the way when you approach them! Too often I find myself having to walk on the road or stop behind a bin or squash up against a wall and it is not ok! So I guess this is really an extension of my Manners point but it’s very important.

4. Leaving Group Chats

Again the heading is slightly misleading because I do not have a problem with people leaving group chats that they don’t want to be a part of. It just frustrates me when the conversation has come to an end and the annoying notifications have subsided, and then someone leaves the group which generates a new notification, and then more people jump on the bandwagon and all the notifications start over again and it’s so pointless because there was no more chat but everyone is creating more annoyance for nothing and it drives me crazyyyyy.

5. Not Wiping Gel Off

So this is specific to the job I do and therefore not many people are gunna get it, but it majorly angers me! So I’m a midwife and we use CTG machines on women’s abdomens to monitor babies which require gel. What bugs me about all of this is that some of my colleagues don’t wipe the gel off the monitor after it’s been used. My first problem with this is selfish – I hate the cold and consistency of the gel and I end up accidentally sticking my hands in it when I come across an un-wiped one and it’s so disgusting it sends shivers down my spine. My second problem with this is for the patients – isn’t in gross to have another woman’s belly gel stuck onto yours? Ew. I wouldn’t want that and no one else should have to and I don’t know why those few colleagues don’t see that! Blech.


So what are some of your pet peeves? Let me know in the comments!

Comments