Book and Film Review: Everything, Everything

"Live life in a bubble?
Or risk everything for love?
Maddy is allergic to the world.
She hasn't left her house in seventeen years.
Olly is the boy next door.
He's determined to find a way to reach her."


Ok, so firstly Oops, I only realise it was a book after I saw the film… But I promise in future to assume all films were books first and will try to read before watching if possible!

A Brief Overview: Everything, Everything is about a teenager called Maddy who lives with SCID and therefore cannot leave her home. Her mum is a doctor, her nurse Carla is her honorary Aunt/best friend, and then she falls in love with the new boy next door. The world changes and so does everything she knows about herself. Heart-wrenching and amazing.

The reason I actually watched this film was because it had the most convenient viewing time at the cinema on the day my friend and I went. It wasn’t my first choice of film either, it was just the only one we could fit in to our day.

And boy am I glad!

I loved it so much. So entertaining, great casting choices and the plot twist that I did not see coming was a whirlwind of both heartbreak and inspiration.  

I definitely advise watching it if you haven’t yet, but read the book first!

Having seen the film I did go into reading the book with images of the characters already, so I lost out on creating them in my mind’s eye, but they were so well cast in my opinion that I can’t imagine visioning them in any other way.

I actually think the film did a really good job of representing the book!

Filled with great illustrations by David Yoon
There was barely anything left out. All that I really noticed were some things were shortened/condensed for the sake of timesaving (I assume) for example in the book there are numerous entries introducing us to the domestic violence aspect of Olly’s family life, whereas in the film there’s nothing until suddenly Olly and his father have a fight out in the street.

Another example being the ‘moment of revelation’ (trying to avoid spoilers) in the book spreads across a couple of days and people and methods of exploration, but in the film it is one scene with a quick conversation really. But it gets the point across with the right level of emotion so I don’t feel like this was lost in any way.


All-in-all the book is amazing, and the film is amazing, watch and read both!




Let me know if you've read or watched it and what you thought of it!
Also let me know if you wouldn't be adverse to spoilers so I can go in to more depth in future reviews?

Comments