Baking: Raisin and Vanilla Scones

Last night we were lying in bed and I said to the boyf, "I reeallyy wanna do some baking tomorrow, but I don't know what to try" (it's important that you know I am pretty much a beginner when it comes to baking so I definitely don't have any kind of arsenal that I could draw from.)
His response: "scones." So scones it is!
Last week I baked banana cake, which is what Mum used to bake when I was growing up, this week it's scones which is my Gran's signature. Clearly I'm following my baking roots at the moment!

My Gran bakes scones by eyeing the ingredients these days so I couldn't really get a recipe off her, so I did a quick google search and got this recipe from BBC Good Food.
It worked well, quick and easy, and I think they taste alright, but I'm pretty sure if Mary and Paul were judging them they'd tell me off for under baking (I even poked them in the middle like Paul does). Can you tell I'm binge watching Bake Off at the mo?

Anyway, on with the recipe - enjoy!

Baking whilst watching Bake Off...

Ingredients

  • 250g Self-raising Flour
  • Pinch of Salt
  • 55g Butter
  • 25g Caster Sugar
  • 1.5tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 150mls Milk
  • 60g Raisins

Recipe

  • Pre-heat a fan oven to 180 degrees and line a baking tray with baking paper
  • Combine flour, salt and butter in a bowl by rubbing between the fingertips until like breadcrumbs
  • Mix in the sugar and raisins, followed by the vanilla extract and most of the milk to form a dough
  • Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and shape into 12 scones either by hand or with a cutter
  • Glaze the scones with the remaining milk (this can alternatively be an egg wash) and bake for 15-20 minutes
  • Enjoy with jam and cream

Comments