Stephens-French Wedding

On New Year's Eve I had the pleasure of attending the wedding of one of my most amazing,
beautiful, hilarious, supportive and talented colleagues, at the New House Country Hotel in Cardiff. I've only known Soph for about two years, but in the stressful environment of midwifery you get somewhat thrown together into mini support sytems who become some of your closest friends.

On arrival at the hotel Ross, the groom, was meeting and greeting everyone in a very snazzy suit and bowtie, then it was straight to the bar for a prosecco!

The ceremony
Sophie looked like a Princess and tears stung my eyes the instant she walked into the room. The ceremony was short and sweet. In all honestly, my favourite moment was one of the speeches, which was the monologue from the title screen of Love Actually that Hugh Grant says over the airport scene of loved ones hugging, which was perfect for the season and of course the occasion.

Whilst the room was being changed from ceremony to reception there were delicious canapes floating around (of which I had far too many of course), a magician weaving his way through the groups entertaining us all, and the photographs were taken outside whilst the rain graciously paused.

The Reception
The wedding breakfast was delicious. I'm not a soup person but the soup started I really enjoyed! Again, I'm not much of a beef person but the beef main was tender and flavoursome and I could have eaten a second portion if I'd had the chance.
The favours were shot glasses with the wedding date engraved, stuffed with mini chocolates. Can't say I had a problem with that!
The speeches were  emotional and entertaining, and Sophie's Dad was hilarious. The funniest thing I think though must have been Soph herself. Throughout her Dad's speech she kept correcting little details (which she got wrong on a couple of occasions) to which his reply was "do you want t do it then?" which immediately she would back down from. Then throughout Ross's speech she kept lifting his arm so that the microphone was closer to his mouth even though we could all hear him well. I think she was just enjoying the bubbly to be honest ;)



My Outfit
Over the past few years I've put on a fair bit of weight and I permanently feel frumpy and disgusting in every outfit, so a week before the wedding I had nothing to wear. To make matters worse the lovely work girls I'd be surrounded by all day are drop dead gorgeous, and that is no exaggersation!
So the few days before christmas I was visiting family and I had been staying with my mum and just by chance she suggested we pop into a local clothes shop for a browse - at which point I admitted my predicament, and she was horrified as expected.
It's quite a small shop so I only found three dresses to try on, but luckily one was a winner. A simple yet elegant navy number with lace detail and luckily I felt quite comfortable in it. I borrowed the fascinator from my mum and had heels at home to match, and a gold clutch and pashmina to tie it all together.
I was even feeling sassy enough to take a separate darker lipstick for my evening look!



Overall I had an amazing day, and I'm sure Soph and Ross did too. I feel privileged to have spent such an important day with the couple!

Comments